Sunday, June 6, 2010

Home Again!

Well, I am home from my holiday (and have had almost a day to recover)! Unfortunately, while we were away, one of our discus fish (Ruby, a coral-coloured discus) passed away :(. We got home at about 8pm last night to find that the whole big warm freshwater tropical fish tank in our kitchen had suffered a fungal outbreak due to high ammonia (possibly connected to Ruby's passing). This meant that Ellenya and Kecapmanis had to rush to clean out the tank and change half of the water to avoid losing any more fish. Elle also had to dose the tank with anti-fungal treatment. We think we got the treatment into the water early enough - thank goodness we weren't away for another day or two... On the upside, the turtles, axolotls, birds and cattie were all fine :) (The cattie was somewhat annoyed that we had left her for a week, and arrived home late to feed her..., and the turtles are still dry docking because of their shell rot, but are getting much better!)


Today, we had to go to the aquarium shop and ask about the finer points of fungal treatment. I also asked about my axolotls. I had some issues with Almondy (my bigger boy axolotl) harassing my princess Artemis (who is smaller and black and white). Apparently, I can put a divider in the tank at night (when the bullying is occurring) to keep my princess safe. The shop offered to swap Almondy for another, more docile axolotl - but I said NO WAY!!! He is my beloved little pet! There is no way I could just give him away! I was thinking that I might have to get him another tank, though. lol  - a divider will be a lot easier and cheaper! I think I will be able to get one from Bunnings tomorrow (just a piece of Perspex cut to size, and with holes for water to flow through) =D.


Also today, I started researching mobility scooters. I think it would be so awesome to be able to go to the shops on my own, and to have some independence! Apparently, I might even get some of the cost paid for by the government because it is a disability aid. I don't understand why it is so hard to find out about those kinds of schemes and other support services! 


Anyways, on my holiday, I missed all the people whom I usually talk to online SO MUCH! It is good to be home again, and with reliable internet!


~Adrielle =)