Tuesday, August 31, 2010

My Doctors Visit

So, I went to the doctor today. I hate going there; firstly, because it is physically and emotionally tiring, and secondly because I am always nervous when I go. I have this feeling that I am kind of wasting the doctor's time, coz there are probably lots of sicker people that she could be spending her time on :S. Anyways, I had my fourth needle in the bum for iron deficiency while I was there (seriously, I am getting so sick of them! AND I HAVE SIX MORE TO GO!) They are helping a little, though. I feel a little less foggy-brained, and more awake.


I also discussed my pain issues with my doctor today.  The tablets that she prescribed have been doing nothing for my pain, and it is getting so bad. Often, I can't type, can't walk (or I walk with a pretty obvious limp), and can't sleep because of it. It is the kind of pain where you can't think of much else, and you keep going "why is my arm killing me" and then remembering - o, it's that weird unexplained pain again :P. I mean, I have always had pretty severe chronic pain with my ME/CFS, but this is just different. Worse, and more long-lasting and widespread. I'm limping badly all the time now instead of just on bad days.


I was nervous that my doctor wouldn't understand, or would think I was just being silly - but she was really very understanding. She wrote a prescription for prednisolone, which is a corticosteroid that I used to take for severe asthma when I was a kid. She thinks might help the pain and inflammation. I hope it does; this pain is just so frustrating! I just feel like crying like a baby all the time because of it! Apparently, if this tablet doesn't work, it rules out a whole heap of inflammatory conditions. Ruling stuff out is nice, but I would rather have a solid answer - "You have this. This will cure it". Unfortunately, things never seem to work like that :P.


I also asked my doctor about my hypermobility again, and she said that I probably have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, but that there is no blood test that will prove it. She said again that she is going to send me to a rhumatologist, but didn't write out a referral today. I know I am probably being impatient, but want to be better faster. I don't like delays; but I guess things need to be ruled out or in first.


Anyways, it is about my bed time, I think. Nighty night!


~Adrielle =)